The boys wanted to go somewhere that there were "things to climb on." The only park on the island is at KFC (the only fast food place here)...we decided against that and headed to Ft. James instead. In the early 1700's when St. Johns started to grow, this northern part of the island was fortified.

There are many forts on the island, but this one is unique in that all of it's cannons are still in place!


According to a historical Antiguan website (you can check out the link in the sidebar) . The foundation stone for the present Fort was laid with full Masonic honours in 1739. This inscribed stone may still be seen on the easterly corner (or pictured above). Much later, the inscription on this stone was nearly obliterated by some mischievous treasure-hunters, who had hoped to find coins behind it.

I wonder what the men who built this Fort would think...did they ever imagine that all of their hard work would end up being a "park" for kids to play on. Our kids weren't the only ones there; and there was a lot of evidence that this Fort is quite a party spot!


1 comment:
Vonnie,
I don't know if you went to White's K-group or not but I do remember playing softball with Justin. I would imagine you were there too. Three boys! How fun! You must always be on your toes. I hope that you don't mind but I linked your blog to mine!?!?!
Post a Comment