June 6, 2011

Last Day of School...

We made it! We finished the school year! I won't lie and tell you that every day was perfect...that the kids never complained about doing their work...and that I wasn't ever overwhelmed...but I will tell you we did it, and both Justin and I so happy that we made this decision this year!

Photobucket

Remember this empty timeline. U.S. history was a focus for us this year...reviewing a very general overview of our history - from Leif Erikson and the vikings to Hawaii becoming the 50th state...

Photobucket

Here is what it looked like today as Zach put up our last of the 23 events! Each of the boys have a U.S. Notebook with 50 state pages and several other projects we did throughout the year.

Photobucket

Photobucket

As a reward, I got the boys their own State Quarter holders. We spend quite some time this morning taking quarters out of our old holders and putting them into the new ones. We are only missing a couple, including the 2009 releases (Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, District of Columbia...etc). I have learned through this year that I have a history enthusiast on my hands! Zach has soaked it all in and begged for more. Every morning he was asking me "Do we get to read history today?" And just so I don't leave him out...Seth is my math kid!

Photobucket

This is our "Jesus" poster. It was empty also at the beginning. Every other week, we covered a new "Name of Jesus" from the Bible. It was paired up with a memory verse, activities, and a color picture that we added to our poster.

My two biggest fears in starting this year were that I wouldn't be able to teach Seth to read...and that Zach would struggle even more in social settings. I am so thankful to say that Seth is ready very nicely, and Zach is doing very well (scouts, sports, and our local kids church). In fact, he is asking to do more activities every day!

We are ready and excited for our summer break...vacation is on the horizon...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are so glad home schooling went so well for you all this year. I know you are ready for the break. We are too, just a few more days. NV Grandma